Saturday, December 27, 2008

Nitter

~
Nitter: Chattering of a cat's teeth upon espying a bird or other prey out of reach. Some think it may be instinctive in preparation for biting the bird. It seems to me counterproductive since the intended prey can hear the nittering and fly away.

I learned this word long ago and am surprised that I can not find it on the web used this way. I would like to hear from anyone who knows more about it. Click on title for a description in the middle of a cat-oriented site of the chattering activity.

Natter: Talk aimlessly. (Click word for further details)

A word made famous by the notorious U.S. Vice-President Spiro Agnew. I suppose that nitter-natter would be to talk aimlessly to a bird you are trying to catch. I wonder if that would apply to British boys chasing birds in Maiden Lane.
~

No comments: