Thursday, January 15, 2009

.gif

~
.gif: A file extension for a graphic format, often animated.

For years I have been in an ongoing tussle with friends over the pronunciation of the format .gif. I thought naturally enough that it should be pronounced with a hard g since it stood for graphical interchange format.

By some serendipity now forgotten, I came across some information which shocked, shocked me and which I quote:

“The GIF (Graphics Interchange Format), pronounced "JIF", was designed by CompuServe and the official specification released in June of 1987.”

I cried, Nooooooo!, but I then read on.

It seems the term was invented by a team of software engineers (soft g ), or geeks (hard g ) who were inclined to program endlessly to the neglect of their nutrition. Their solution: peanut butter. The brand: Jif. I was mortified. Now I am stuck with both an odious pronunciation and a ridiculous explanation.

To make it worse, someone pointed out that if I insisted on the hard g what would I suggest for .jpeg? Jfeg? (Joint Photographic Experts Group)

Jiffy: A measurement of time used in scientific applications.

Click on title for detailed info about .gif.
~

No comments: